Our smartphones and tablets are often targets of malicious attacks and cyber threats, be it with spyware, ransomware, phishing, Trojans or viruses, and other types of undesired content. Android devices aren’t an exception. Android devices are often exposed to attacks coming from different sources, including infected websites, malicious apps, or unsecured public networks. For such reasons, it’s strongly recommended that you have the best antivirus for Android installed on your devices. Keep reading to find out which is the best Android antivirus.
5 Best Android Antivirus Apps
Today, smartphones aren’t just a means of communication: users store both bank account data and personal information on their smartphones. Smartphones and tablets also allow us to solve numerous problems globally, which has ultimately made our life easier. On the other hand, confidential data, the main target of hackers, is increasingly becoming vulnerable. Furthermore, data and devices can be stolen or lost. You risk losing them if you don’t treat data protection issues carefully.
Moreover, viruses and malware can interfere with the standard Android functionality, which makes work with a smartphone inconvenient. There are several security rules for Android users. For starters, avoid downloading apps from third parties and don’t follow any suspicious links. Secondly, don’t pay online when connected to public Wi-Fi, and never forget to install the best Android antivirus on your smartphone.
In this comprehensive review, we’ll discuss the best antivirus software for you your Android device. This review is also based on the results of tests conducted by reputed industry labs. The following products have been included:
Short of Time? See Our Top 5 for September, 2021
How to Choose Antivirus for Android
The greatest benefit of Android has also become one of its biggest issues. We often discuss the openness of the device’s OS that gives you the chance to customize and opens the way to create viruses and malware.
In most cases, you don’t necessarily have to think about the antivirus program on your smartphone or tablet running on this OS. The media has even led some people to believe that Android viruses are more dangerous than windows ones, but that isn’t true. On the other hand, they exist. It’s for this reason that the latest antivirus for Android still have work to do.
Nonetheless, can Android smartphones be infected with malware? While Android devices don’t get the traditional viruses such as computers, other malicious programs can easily infect them.
Although all the above-mentioned apps are incredible choices. Technically, the app you could choose comes down to your personal preferences. This depends on your price expectations, features, and VPN capabilities. The best choice is to take advantage of the available free trials. This gives you a chance to try out this software before committing.
Having the best antivirus software on an Android device is very important. Following are some of the factors to help you choose the best antivirus for Android smartphones.
Reliability And Speed
An antivirus program should be running 24/7. The software should work in the background to make sure all the links you click on and the applications you can download aren’t malicious. This needs some power management on your device. This means the phone antivirus significantly impacts the reliability and speed of our devices. Crashes and slowness are very common with bad choices.
The best antivirus software doesn’t significantly impact reliability and speed. You should be able to use the software without telling the difference in your phone performance.
Antivirus isn’t the only security program you need on your Android device. Essentially, with lots of things happening on our smartphones, there is a lot of risk of surveillance and identity theft. It’s for this reason you should consider using a VPN. Although you can get great VPN apps, some phone antivirus apps for Android come with an inbuilt VPN client. It comes down to your personal preferences.
Phone Antivirus Testing Labs
Renowned antivirus testing labs constantly undertake exclusive tests of Android antivirus software, checking false positives, performance, and protection levels for every mobile antivirus.
These tests utilize the most modern versions of the mobile security software available during that period. Apps can update the databases and signatures in real-time through their cloud services. Every phone antivirus solution is usually tested by 3 points: functionality, usability, and protection. Following are the best phone antivirus apps that constantly receive higher results:
- Norton 360
- McAfee mobile security
Malwarebytes is one of the leading anti-malware software that are available out there. This antivirus program comes with many benefits and anyone who chooses to use it. This is one of the best things about this antimalware program that you can quickly download and use for 14 days without paying.
Malwarebytes Merits and Demerits
Overall, Malwarebytes is a great program for finding and also erasing all unwanted programs. Malware isn’t a virus; therefore, the common antivirus software can’t pick it. It’s important to note that malware can significantly ruin your life by redirecting your homepage, changing the default search engine, placing the sponsored links on your devices, and adding toolbars to the device.
- Malware scanning – Unlike other antivirus software solutions, Malwarebytes doesn’t have a facility for scheduled scans. Therefore, you can manually open your program and click your scan button whenever you want to check this malware.
- Quarantine the data – Malwarebytes clearly show the comprehensive list of any suspicious texts or emails detected. Also, it asks whether you want to quarantine or delete them.
- Advanced anti-malware – Malwarebytes protects users from highly advanced threats by detecting and removing viruses in real-time. This is possible only with anti-spyware, anti-rootkit, and anti-malware technology. Malwarebytes helps prevent your files from being locked or taken for ransom.
🥈2. Norton 360
It’s a leading mobile antivirus app for Android with highly advanced Norton Mobile Insight technology, which prevents unwanted and malicious apps from finding their way into your tablet or smartphone. Also, you can backup all your contacts and also synchronize them with all your Android devices. Norton 360 also comes with a free 7-day trial, but the advanced features are only available in the premium version.
Norton 360 Pros and Cons
This antivirus has a generous and unique offer – one premium subscription protects a maximum of 5 devices on iOS and Android. Each of the devices will have nearly perfect protection – considering Norton has been found to be 99.95 effective during the lab tests. Another advantage of using Norton 360 is the quick scan which takes about 10 seconds. Although the software affects the performance of your device because of the fast scans, you may not even realize it. The most affordable package is Norton Antivirus Plus and is available for $9.99 for the first year.
- An antivirus scanner protects your tablet or smartphone from malicious apps. Also, it deletes apps that contain viruses/code, which slow your device down or harm it.
- Safe search allows you to see online stores or website security ratings and helps you avoid prevent malicious websites in the search results.
- Application advisor checks apps automatically for possible personal data leaks, data resources and inefficient use of the battery, and intrusive behavior before downloads.
- Web protection helps prevent phishing and fraudulent websites from accessing your confidential and personal information, including social media, online shopping, online banking accounts, and bank card data.
- Wireless network security sends you alerts if you try connecting to an unsecured public Wi-Fi network.
- Antispam – blocking of calls allows users to block all unwanted SMS messages and calls.
- Anti-theft – device search, cleaning, and remote blocking.
Bitdefender is our second pick for the best Android antivirus offers complete protection against mobile threats and viruses to personal information. Bitdefender for the Android app’s primary goal is to offer multiple opportunities to protect an Android device and the important data stored in the device, not using lots of battery and system resources.
Bitdefender Ins and Outs
It’s built on one of the most modern and reliable anti-malware engines. During the lab tests, Bitdefender scored 100%. The antivirus scans all the apps automatically. Nonetheless, there are no features that would allow scheduling scans, and that are a challenge. This scan on demand is pretty fast – it takes about 30 seconds. The antivirus uses cloud-based malware detection and does not consume lots of resources.
- Antivirus scan – The Bitdefender antivirus automatically scans Android apps as they are being installed so that you don’t install malware. Bitdefender runs in the cloud, which means it’s always updated and protects Android devices from aggressive advertising and the latest threats.
- The Application Lock usually features a list of apps installed on your device and allows you to choose an app that can also be password protected against unauthorized access by other individuals. By doing so, it’s only you or someone with access to your login credentials.
- Bitdefender Web Security usually protects your devices in real-time if you visit sites by blocking phishing and malicious resources.
- VPN client – this service offers 200MB of traffic every day for free. Those looking for privacy and anonymity should choose Bitdefender VPN.
- Anti-theft includes the web-based remote control panel that allows users to send SMS commands, erase Android information, lock, find and sound the alarm from any Android device with access to the internet and listen to your smartphone.
Bitdefender mobile security for Android is a great alternative for all the Android devices you own. With Bitdefender, you get very robust security against possible threats and some other extra features.
IObit Advanced SystemCare Ultimate
IObit Advanced SystemCare Ultimate is multipurpose software. It offers many automated PC Healthcare solutions. This is usually done with system clean-up abilities, privacy protection, and antivirus. This program is for users in all experience stages. It could be a very beneficial tool for boosting the performance of your device. Besides FaceID, IObit comes with extra features in this version. It effectively prevents your personal computer from malicious files. IObit Advanced SystemCare Ultimate delivers a superb deal with incredible features for identity protection and security.
IObit Advanced SystemCare Advantages and Disadvantages
IObit Advanced SystemCare Ultimate Features
The considerate addition is the anti-virus protection, both on-demand and in real-time by IObit engines. And on the other hand, the program works like any other antivirus program. Some of the features you’ll enjoy with IObit Advanced SystemCare Ultimate include:
- Large file cleaner helps removes all unnecessary large-size files. It can list all the big files by their type (video/audio/image/others) by file extensions and file directory.
- Anti-tracking that allow you to block and manage different types of trackers
- Real-time tune-up to analyze all the system files finds areas with issues, and rectifies them to boost your PC performance.
- Automatically checks software health.
- Firewall protection
- Smoothly boosts your internet speed.
- Protects all your important data
- Speeds up your fast
- Cleans your PC with artificial intelligence
McAfee is one of the best mobile antiviruses that helps maintain higher privacy levels when surfing online and improves your smartphone or tablet performance. This premium subscription allows you to get some extra features and disable ads in your app.
McAfee Gains and Losses
McAfee mobile security is a few antivirus solutions that offer excellent protection and a wide range of impeccable features. McAfee antivirus automatically scans all the installed apps as new files. Moreover, you can easily initiate the on-demand scans whenever you need such. Also, a web protection security feature blocks all websites, which contain possible threats and notifies you if you get suspicious texts or emails.A 1-year package for a single device will cost you about $34.99.
McAfee Key Features
- Storage cleaner
- Memory cleaning tool
- Battery optimization
- The anti-theft module locks lost devices and take photos of the individual using it
- The spyware protection helps prevent phishing attacks and this blocks access to your data.
- Remotely deletes all data and resets your devices to the factory settings
- Find and track your Android devices and triggers the remote alarm
- Anti-deletion in case your device is stolen
- Manage your antivirus solution remotely from the website
- The privacy check usually monitors the apps that are dangerous for your data
- A power booster to optimize performance
- Kids mode
- Wi-Fi guard VPN
- Safe browsing blocks access to dangerous websites
- Security checks find and remove infections
- Secure Wi-Fi for protecting data
- Virus scanner and antivirus protection scan the malicious code in downloads, in applications, and on an SD card
Technically, McAfee is a great antivirus solution for people who are concerned about the security of their devices. Nevertheless, it doesn’t protect very well against malware.
Do You Need the Best Antivirus for Android Smartphones?
Owners of Android devices usually take lots of flack from apple users. There is a perception that apple, the biggest phone manufacturer, is a complete product. Obviously, Samsung and Google are massive corporations. The main difference is that they do not portray the sense that they don’t portray a know-it sense for all their customers. They allow users to personalize their devices with a huge amount of apps and customization.
However, it’s important to note that Android devices are usually more susceptible to hacking and viruses. This is the price customers pay for the customized experience. However, this doesn’t have to ruin your Android experience. In fact, by choosing the best antivirus for Android smartphones, you can be protected from potential cyber-attacks.
Best Free Antivirus for Android
It all depends on your needs, budget, and preferences. Norton 360 has for many years been the best free antivirus for Android app for many reasons include:
- Wi-Fi network scanning.
- Real-time scanning.
- An app advisor that evaluates the Android apps for security.
Also, if you’re looking to protect other devices such as Mac or PC, Norton 360 Deluxe is a better deal.
- If you’re searching for the best Android security app, which comes with various anti-theft features, you should try out McAfee mobile security.
- If you aren’t protecting sensitive details and just want to keep your data safe, you should opt for Malwarebytes.
- Bitdefender mobile security is an excellent option for those not looking for anything fancy but who just want an easy-to-use antivirus solution.
Best Malware Removal Android
Your Android device is a very powerful device with access to lots of sensitive business data and most private personal information. Cybercriminals are working around the clock to try and steal your sensitive data.
A few trends have already converged to further raise the cybersecurity attack levels. Originally, when hackers started writing the computer viruses, they were harder to distribute and evenly spread out pretty slowly. Internet connection wasn’t good, slow processors and virus creation were infrequent.
Nowadays, malware are a great business. They are a vibrant dark economy trade on programmers for hire, personal information, and cyber tools. The AV-Test lab registers almost 40,000 malware pieces per day, almost all of them come with the intention of illicit outcomes or gains, and the mobile devices have recently become a great target for cybercriminals.
Like laptops and desktops, Android devices are also prone to viruses. Unfortunately, many users think smartphones are immune to viruses and malware.
The viruses that plague tablets and smartphones have more variations than the traditional viruses. These malicious codes are known as malware. The AV-Test lab breaks these problems into two categories, including potentially unwanted applications and malicious programs. It’s for these reasons you need the best malware removal Android tools.
Can An Android Antivirus Slow Down Your Phone?
With the best Android antivirus software for Android, you might not even notice a difference with or without the antivirus software. Whether an Android antivirus slows down your phone depends on the antivirus app you’ve chosen. Some software’s are lighter than others; all the 5 in this list are pretty efficient and will not affect your device’s performance.
However, if you’re running an old or slow Android, IObit could help you clean your device and speed it up. Bitdefender is based on the cloud and doesn’t affect your smartphone’s performance since it does not occupy any space. Other antivirus for phone programs you should consider include Bitdefender, McAfee, and Norton won’t slow down your phone.
Bonus Features The Best Antivirus For Android Smartphones Should Have
Antivirus and antimalware protection and other anti-theft modules are essential features that the best antivirus for Android smartphones should have. On the other hand, some software’s provide extra features. These might include:
- Backup of files and contacts – While Google allows users to backup contacts; most antiviruses back up specific files such as photos or documents to the cloud storage.
- Battery management – This makes it easier for you to control the apps that mostly use battery resources.
- Performance improvement – You can quickly boost the performance of your device and close all the idle background apps
- Wi-Fi control – This antivirus software protects all your traffic from the insecure Wi-Fi networks
- Pair with Android wear – Some antiviruses such as McAfee, Kaspersky, and Bitdefender sends reminders to the Android wear
- Privacy risks report – The app scans all installed apps and alerts you whether there are any privacy risks or leaks.
- VPN – By buying an antivirus subscription, you get an unlimited VPN connection, which means you don’t have to pay for extra service.
Antivirus for Android FAQs
What’s the best antivirus for Android?
Do you need antivirus for Android?
Is Bitdefender good for Android?
How can you know if your Android smartphone has a virus?
• The phone becomes too slow
• Higher telephone bills
• Unexplained data usage
• Battery drains very fast
• Apps taking longer to load