iPhones are very safe, but the best way to fully protect your online activities is to use a VPN for iPhone. The best VPN for iPhone secures public Wi-Fi networks, hides your web activities from your mobile carrier and ISP, and unblocks geo-restricted apps and websites across the globe. There are many free and paid VPN apps on the iOS app store, but some of them leak your IP address, slow your connection or log your data. To discover the best iOS VPN, our team has tested over 50 VPNs. Read on to find what is VPN on iPhone, how we test iPhone VPN, which one is the best and more. Without further ado, let’s get started!
5 Best VPN for iPhone 2022
IPads and iPhones are widely known for their in-built security, but this could be misleading. iOS excels in protecting you from malware and viruses, but without the best VPN for iPhone, the websites you visit might get information about your location and web activities. You’re also vulnerable to cybercriminals and other third parties who might be trying to see what you do online.
However, not all VPNs you find out there are perfect. Some VPNs offer iOS apps that do not work as well as their android or PC versions. Some may slow down your iPhone, while others have security issues of their own.
We gathered all apple enthusiasts from our cybersecurity team, and we tested many VPN apps to find the best in terms of security, usability, and performance. We tested the iPhone VPN apps on different iPhone models, from iPhone 7s to iPhone X, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro Max, and iPads.
ExpressVPN is our top choice in 2021. Its sleek iPhone apps come with excellent features, consistently high speed, and top-notch security. With a 30-day moneyback guarantee, you should try ExpressVPN risk-free today. Keep reading to learn more about our other iPhone VPN favorites.
Short of Time? See Our Top 5 for May, 2022
What is VPN on iPhone, and How Does it Work?
Today, many people believe that iPhones are somehow hacker-proof. While to some extent this might be true, vulnerabilities still exist because there is no single electronic device that’s 100% immune to online threats. So, if you really care about the security of your sensitive data, getting the best iPhone VPN is critical.
VPNs have, over the years, been used by enterprises and businesses for their internal data transfer and communication requirements, like giving staff the ability to securely access company data from their homes. Nevertheless, in recent times, VPNs have increasingly become popular among Internet users. Currently, having a VPN on iPhone has many benefits and advantages; you don’t just get extra privacy, but you also gain access to geo-blocked sites, bypass censorship, and secure data while on public Wi-Fi networks.
How VPN on iPhone Work?
Even if Apple devices are known to be super secure, iPhones cannot stand up alone to cyber threats that lurk behind various public Wi-Fi connections. The VPN on iPhone secures your data and web traffic against cybercriminals, Wi-Fi-spoofing, constant ad tracking, and eavesdropping when connected to the public Wi-Fi networks.
After you’ve downloaded the iPhone VPN on your device, it creates a VPN configuration profile that’s installed in your phone settings. Once the VPN has been installed, you can activate/deactivate the VPN directly from the app. Also, you can manually choose the VPN server country you wish to connect to. With a single click, you can activate a VPN on your iPhone.
As long as the VPN feature is enabled, all the web traffic to and from your device will be dispatched via the VPN server through an encrypted and secure connection. The server and your iPhone behave like they are on the same network. Instead of the data being transmitted from your iPhone to the Internet over an unencrypted channel, the connection happens as iPhone – server – Internet, where the data sent is transmitted via a secure VPN tunnel. To understand exactly what is VPN on iPhone and how it works, let take a closer look at some real-life examples.
ExpressVPN Top Features
ExpressVPN at a Glance
With split tunneling, high speeds, and minimal logging, ExpressVPN is still the strongest contender for the best VPNs for iPhones. Also, we are very impressed with ExpressVPN app ratings and the ability to unblock Netflix. ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands. This is a great location because it means the VPN isn’t subject to Five Eyes, Fourteen Eyes, or Nine Eyes jurisdiction. As a result, it cannot be legally forced to share user data with government agencies. ExpressVPN employs 256-AES encryption, which is the industry’s best encryption to protect your connection. Also, your streaming is encrypted using AES-256. ExpressVPN also supports P2P.
- 160 Server Locations – They have servers in 160 locations in 94 countries all around the world.
- Access Content from anywhere – Stream, listen and watch content from blocked and censored websites.
- IP address masking – Doesn’t reveal your actual location and IP address.
- Anonymous browsing – ExpressVPN boosts your anonymity. You can use Tor to surf their hidden onion site or pay with bitcoin.
- On every device – It has user-friendly apps for iOS and Mac.
- 24/7 live chat support – Real human support representatives available around the clock via live chat and email.
Why we recommend ExpressVPN
They have a solid reputation for high speeds and will be great for audio and video streaming. Moreover, ExpressVPN doesn’t log DNS queries, traffic data, or anything that might be used to track you. Also, ExpressVPN includes a network lock feature that keeps all your data safe if your connection to the VPN fails. This blocks all the online traffic until the connection is restored.
NordVPN Top Features
NordVPN at a Glance
If you’re looking for a security-rich VPN service for your iPhone or iPad, then you’ll like NordVPN. NordVPN has excellent features like an automatic kill switch, VPN into Tor, and double VPN encryption. You can preset the network lock feature to automatically turn off all applications if your connection to the VPN drops to avoid DNS and data leaks.
NordVPN is based in Panama, which means it isn’t part of the international surveillance alliance. This makes it a very impressive VPN service, especially for those concerned about their privacy. With NordVPN, you can rest assured that they will never share user data with the government.
- Secure Internet – With NordVPN, your Internet data is protected using high-end encryption technology.
- Fast VPN – You don’t have to sacrifice security for speed. NordVPN gives both.
- Strict no-logs policy – NordVPN doesn’t collect or share user data.
- Uninterrupted streaming – Say goodbye to buffering. Enjoy uninterrupted TV anytime, anywhere.
- Multiple devices – One license allows you to connect a maximum of 6 devices.
- VPN Servers everywhere – Pick from over 5,400 servers in about 59 countries. No borders, no limits, no Internet censorship.
- Obfuscated servers – Hide your VPN connection and Internet traffic for maximum security.
Why we recommend NordVPN
NordVPN is an excellent iOS VPN service. The apps are feature-rich and are perfectly integrated with high advanced iOS features. In our tests, NordVPN was the fastest VPN on the iPhone. Not to mention that it’s available for cost-effective long-term subscriptions.
PureVPN Top Features
PureVPN at a Glance
Headquartered in Hong Kong, PureVPN has been around since 2006. Hong Kong isn’t part of the international surveillance alliance, and data retention is not mandatory. Therefore, PureVPN will not store user data. The best iPhone VPN service accepts cryptocurrency payments, including bitcoin, a great payment method if you don’t want to share your bank details. PureVPN offers highly advanced security protection, including NAT firewire, DDoS protection, and 256-bit AES.
- 256-bit encryption – PureVPN uses high-end 256-bit AES encryption to protect user data.
- Port forwarding – The port forwarding add-on offers an added security layer to stop cybercriminals from exploiting loopholes.
- Kill switch – Comes with a network lock feature to ensure your data or DNS isn’t leaked even when your connection to the VPN fails.
- DDoS protection – DDoS protection can defeat even the most sophisticated DDoS attacks for better security.
- Dedicated IP – PureVPN provides a dedicated IP add-on for people looking to have a static IP address for pleasure or business purposes.
Why we recommend PureVPN
It offers P2P compatibility, unlimited bandwidth, kill switch, and highly advanced security features, including port forwarding and military-level encryption. Even better, PureVPN can access Netflix.
IPVanish Top Features
IPVanish at a Glance
IPVanish has top-notch features that are ideal for advanced VPN users. Newbie VPN users might have simpler needs and may not find use for features such as automatic IP address cycling and BitTorrenting. They have servers worldwide, including India, China – North, South, Central Americas, Africa, Europe, and the Middle East.
IPVanish is headquartered in the United States, a member of the Five Eyes international surveillance alliance. This means IPVanish can be forced to legally share user data with government agencies.
- Unmetered connections – They don’t limit connections, which means you can access IPVanish on all your devices simultaneously.
- Zero traffic logs – They have strict policies against the collection of activity and connection logs. This means they don’t store Metadata about your session.
- Unthrottled speed – They don’t limit the amount of data you throttle or transfer.
- SOCKS5 web proxy – Although it isn’t encrypted, they offer the SOCKS5 web proxy to mask your actual IP address when making VoIP and P2P connections.
- 256-bit AES encryption – 256-bit is the industry standard for encrypting electronic data.
Why we recommend IPVanish
IPVanish is pretty easy to use and offers advanced security features. It’s a reliable and efficient VPN that’s ideal for security-conscious surfing. In our tests, IPVanish excelled across the board, placing it among our top 5 fastest VPNs.
Ivacy VPN Top Features
Ivacy VPN at a Glance
IvacyVPN is an affordable VPN that unblocks BBC iPlayer and US Netflix. It uses AES-256 encryption, has dedicated torrenting servers, and has a strict no-logs policy. It’s a great VPN option when it comes to security and encryption. On top of this, it also has a kill switch, IPv6, and DNS leak protection that work to prevent your actual IP address from getting exposed in case your connection to the VPN drops. IvacyVPN is headquartered in Singapore, a member of 14 Eyes International Surveillance alliances, which means they share surveillance information with other countries. This means IvacyVPN can be legally compelled to share user data with government agencies.
- No logs policy – IvacyVPN has a strict no-logs policy. They don’t monitor or store personally identifiable data.
- 256-AES encryption – They offer 256-bit encryption to all users, making it impossible for hackers to penetrate.
- Smart purpose selection – Purpose selection is key to identifying the purposes for connecting to the VPN: Unblocking, streaming, and secure download. IvacyVPN has got you covered on all ends.
- Defeat ISP Throttling – IvacyVPN masks your actual IP address, thus defeating the ISP throttling.
- Internet freedom – Specific streaming channels and websites are geo-blocked, preventing users from accessing content. IvacyVPN helps you to easily bypass such limitations.
Why we recommend IvacyVPN
Although it’s headquartered in Singapore, which at times experiences censorship issues, IvacyVPN has over the years proven itself as an outstanding VPN service. Ivacy VPN has advanced security and standard encryption with high-end download vpn for iphone and other security protocols, including TCP, OpenVPN, L2TP, IKeV, UD, and IPSEC. Moreover, IvacyVPN features a kill switch, which stops your Internet connection in case your connection to the VPN drops.
Why Do You Need iPhone VPN?
A good VPN connects you to the web via an encrypted and secured tunnel while hiding your actual IP address, so cybercriminals, hackers, ISPs, and other third parties cannot monitor your activity online.
Staying online has never been easier as it is today. Nowadays, you’ll find free Wi-Fi hotspots at nearly every shopping mall, airport, library, government office, or coffee shop.
Nevertheless, each time you use a free public Wi-Fi network, you put your private data and yourself at risk. Most of these public Wi-Fi networks are unencrypted and have no protection whatsoever. iPhone users who connect to such networks can be hacked. So, if you aren’t careful enough, your passwords, credit card details, and other private data may end up in the hands of hackers.
Luckily, if you prioritize using VPN on iPhone, your data and financial details are well secured. From the time you connect to a remote server, all the web traffic is transmitted via a secure and encrypted channel. This means no one can see what you’re doing online, even on unsecured Wi-Fi networks.
If You Travel Regularly
When you travel abroad for work, studies, or a holiday, you still want to access the same streaming platforms, social networks, services, and websites you did in the US or UK. Nevertheless, if you are travelling in a jurisdiction that’s known for restrictions and heavy censorship, you may find it difficult to do so.
Therefore, before you pack your bags and leave, make sure you’ve downloaded an iPhone VPN. Through connection to the remote VPN service iPhone server, your iPhone will get an IP address of the server in question, so it might seem like you’re browsing from the country where the server is physically located. The good news is that it hides your online activity from the local Internet service providers and government agencies.
If You’re Concerned About Your Privacy
Some sceptics claim that they are not worried that someone may be watching them online since they do not do anything embarrassing or illegal. So, they claim they don’t have anything to hide. Such people don’t know that their Internet service provider can see exactly what sites they visit.
They might also not be privy to the fact that some Internet platforms collect data and sell it to third parties so they can be targeted for advertisements. Not to forget hackers who might use this data for targeted phishing attacks. The best VPN for iPhone will safeguard you from anyone trying to track your online activities. Your data is always encrypted, and even the ISP cannot see what you are doing online.
What A VPN On iPhone Can’t Do
You already know a lot about what a VPN on iPhone can do, but not what a VPN on iPhone can’t do. There are many misconceptions about the best VPN for iPhone, especially in the United States, where usage numbers are pretty low. So, let’s take a look at what a VPN can’t do.
First, no one is 100% safe or anonymous online, even if you’ve got a VPN on iPhone, a reliable firewall, antivirus, or any other security tool. If you share personal information on social media or keep using the same password on different accounts, you might still be tracked or targeted by cybercriminals.
Can An iPhone VPN Bypass The App Store Restrictions?
Yes, you can easily use iPhone VPN to bypass app store restrictions and download apps from geo-blocked countries. It’s pretty straightforward; all you have to do is head straight to the settings section and click iTunes and App store. Next, select view apple ID, enter your login details, click on a country, and then tap on the change country button.
You can then choose the country you want to download the VPN iPhone apps from. Finally, open the VPN iPhone app and connect to a particular server in that region/country. Keep in mind that you might be prompted to change your billing address. If you haven’t yet set up a payment method, you can choose to use the iTunes gift card.
Can You Use VPN for iPhone on an iPad?
It depends on the VPN service you’ve chosen to use. For instance, some of the VPNs listed here have dedicated apps for iPads, but others will allow you to use the same app on your iPhone and iPads. In essence, you shouldn’t have any problem using this VPN for iPad.
How To Use VPN On iPhone Or iPad
The best VPN services have a very user-friendly interface, making them easy to use for both beginners and advanced VPN users. VPNs are perfectly suited for times when you’re in another country or away from your workplace and must convince your iPhone or Mac device that you’re in another location. On iPad and iPhone, Apple has made it incredibly easy to configure VPN. Here is how to use VPN on iPhone and iPad.
You can configure a VPN on your iPad or iPhone manually, or you can choose to download VPN for iPhone app and have the installation wizard do the rest. Here is how to use a VPN on your iPhone or iPad with just a few clicks.
1. Head to the app store and type in the VPN service you want to use (NordVPN, for example)
2. Click on ‘download.’
3. Open the NordVPN app and click SIGN UP to open a new user account.
4. You’ll be redirected to the official NordVPN website to open a new account.
5. After you’ve created a new account, you’ll be taken back to the iPhone VPN app to choose your package.
6. A popup will appear where you’ll be prompted to AGREE & CONTINUE.
7. You can then choose the server you want to connect to or just click on ‘Quick Connect’ to be connected to the fastest server.
8. If this is your first time connecting, you’ll be asked to allow the iPhone VPN app to add new configurations to your iPhone or iPad and confirm your choice.
How to Manually Set up a VPN on Your iPhone or iPad
You only need your login information to manually configure a VPN client on your iPad or iPhone. Here’s how to get this done.
1. Go to the iPhone settings section
2. Click General
3. Click on ‘VPN’
4. Tap Add VPN Configuration
5. Click on ‘Type’
6. Choose the VPN type, OpenVPN, L2TP, IPSec or IKEv2
7. Fill in the VPN settings information, including remote ID, server, and description
8. Enter the ‘authentication login’ including your password and username
9. Tap Auto or Manual to enable the proxy, based on whether you need it
10. Click on ‘Done’
Is Free VPN for iPhone Worth It?
Using a free VPN for iPhone service could be a smart decision if you’re concerned about your privacy. The good news is that if you’re really looking for the best free VPN for iPhone, you have got numerous options to choose from. All you have to do is go to the app store and choose one. An additional security layer while using public Wi-Fi networks is a good thing, mainly if you’re using personal data or shopping online.
Unfortunately, most of these free VPNs for iPhone don’t really work. First, most free apps meter the amount of data you can transfer. This means you shouldn’t even consider using them for torrenting or streaming because that will most likely not work. Furthermore, you’ll most likely be making yourself a target for unsolicited ads where the VPN provider is possibly making lots of cash selling user data to third parties.
Testing iPhone VPN Speed Performance
With numerous apps in the app store, we have created a methodology to make sure we only recommend the best and fastest VPN for iPhone. For iPad and iPhone VPN, we have stringent standards for iOS compatibility, ease of use, speed, and security. Before we start our iPhone VPN tests, we turn off the cellular data network and enable Wi-Fi. This is because most cellular connections aren’t safe and are much difficult to attack than Wi-Fi.
To be featured among the best VPNs for iPhone, a VPN must perfectly integrate with Apple system-level features. We handpick the top VPNs for iPhone; we looked for those that had support for iOS 14 widgets, Siri shortcuts, and accepted payment via the iOS app store. It was crucial for VPNs to have a robust, user-friendly app for macOS. Furthermore, support for Smart DNS and Apple TV was a bonus.
We conducted speed tests on the same network and device. The VPN on this list has been confirmed to have minimal impact on speed, resulting in reliable and fast connections. Moreover, all the fastest VPN for iPhone listed here work well with streaming platforms like Netflix.
Encryption And Strong Security
To guarantee all your iPhone activities are kept private and secure, all the VPNs listed here use impenetrable AES-256 encryption, have a strict no-logs policy and have IP and DNS leak protection.