Malware threats are not fun. They are enemies. Unless you are already using the best antivirus software for your system, you are always at risk of getting exposed to malware infestation. Whether you are using a Mac, PC, iPhone, or any Android phone, any vulnerability in the browser, as well as its plugins, may serve as a door for any malware entry, even though these parts may seem strong and not prone to attack.
Short of Time? See Our Top 4 for June, 2021
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware – Best Overall Malware Removal Software
- Avast Anti-Virus – Targeted for Malware Protection and Removal
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus – Ideal for Beginners and Experts
- Bitdefender Total Security – Easy to Use Malware Protection Suite
Yes, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a good way to reduce the risk of malware infection, it is still up to you to make sure that your machine or device is well protected against different attacks from a variety of malware threats. The good news is that there are several vendors that can offer the security that you need in order to defend your system against malware. The best part about these programs is that they are available in both free and paid versions.
The free versions can give you the basics, while the paid versions have more options for malware protection, and making their value well worth it. To help you out choose the best malware removal software, we have prepared a list of the best software options out there.
Malware actually means malicious software. This term generally applies to any type of software, program, or even code that poses a threat to a computing system as well as its devices. The harm that is caused by malware usually includes deletion or alteration of data, encrypting and stealing data, taking over of primary functions of the OS, sending information, as well as other intrusive activities that can happen without the knowledge of the user. There are also different types of malware, including the following:
- Exploit: This type of malware takes advantage of the vulnerabilities and flaws within a system, introducing more harm. This is also used as a drop over other types of malware. In general, exploits are complicated because the other malware can also serve as droppers of their malware. For example, adware may be used in malware advertising. In turn, this may be used in installing Trojans, which make a backdoor for other types of malware.
- Adware: Adware is short for advertising malware. It is a persistent type of malware that installs by itself without permission from the owner. This type of malware displays and shows ads that come in the form of autoplay commercials, pop-ups, as well as banners. At times, they can even alter your results in the search, showing ads, or redirecting you to a certain advertising website. Others also collect data bait based on your browsing activities.
- Crypto-Jacking: This malware is a trend that utilizes crypto mining code that uses the computing resources of a victim, like the CPU and GPU power, with the goal of mining cryptocurrencies. This is all done without the knowledge of the victim, and these malicious people collect the mined cryptocurrencies.
- Ransomware: This kind of malware works by encrypting your files, even locking you out of your personal device. Then, it displays a message that includes instructions on how your files can be decrypted or how you can have access to your device. The message usually prompts you to pay a specific ransom price, typically in the form of cryptocurrencies, to a particular address that is included in the message.
- Key Logger: As suggested by this malware’s name, it is used to monitor and record all keystrokes done on your keyboard. After a determined amount of data is entered, key loggers work by transmitting the data to the author. It can then be analyzed for a number of sensitive information such as usernames, emails, passwords, as well as bank details. These key loggers are typically bundled with other kinds of malware like spyware.
- Worm: This kind of malware works primarily to self-reproduce, and infect other devices that are present in a network. Worms usually cause huge network disruptions. In certain cases, they may even alter data and files.
- Virus: Viruses are a dangerous type of malware. They replicate, modifying different programs with their codes. Typically, the virus stays dormant until the run. Programs that may be infected may be corrupted, not working correctly like they are supposed to.
- Spyware: As suggested by its name, this malware works by collecting and sending sensitive information to authors without your consent and knowledge. Depending on the actual design of the spyware, they usually use deception to perform operations. Sensitive information collected includes browsing habits, as well as personal information such as your personal name, biometric data, addresses, social security numbers, email address, credit card numbers, as well as anything that is associated with you.
- Trojan: This type of malware masks itself as something that is either useful or legitimate. This is a trick that is used in fooling victims into getting this malware into the computer system. After access is granted, it will then create a backdoor that will allow other malware to enter the system.
- Rootkit: This malware provides its author with admin access to the infiltrated computing system. It is difficult to find because it can easily mask itself as a file of the Operating System.
Signs that Your Device is Malware Infected
Depending on the type of malware that has crept in, and the device infected, malware may be difficult to detect. However, there are some general symptoms.
- Presence of endless ads: Adware, in particular, push enticing ads. They come in the form of video commercials, banners, and pop-ups as you browse the internet. Closing some of these ads may only lead to more.
- Sudden disk space loss: Malware also consumes a lot of space storage on your device. Most malware utilizes the disk space to store their data before they are sent to the authors.
- Sudden spike on bandwidth and internet usage: After traffic is sent to the authors, you will notice a dent on your internet bandwidth. Other types of malware that easily spread through networks may also increase your network traffic.
- Slow, overheating, crashing and freezing device: The malware performs operations in the background, thus using a whole lot of CPU power, even consuming RAM, making your device really slow.
- Increase in phone bill: A spike on your phone bill is expected when malware is present on your phone.
- Unauthorized system operations: If you see programs and apps that you are not familiar with or a change in the homepage of your browser, most likely your device is infected by malware.
Find the Best Malware Removal Software Solutions
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware – Best Overall Malware Removal Software
If you see the likelihood of a malware infection, the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a good option to take into consideration. For one, it is updated each day, giving you the guarantee that it can be trusted when it comes to detecting and removing new threats right at the moment that they appear. A 14-day trial of the premium edition. It will allow you to enjoy some of the basic features, such as preventative tools such as specific protection against ransomware and real-time scanning. It goes back to the basic free version after two weeks.
While this tool needs to be manually activated, it is still a high-quality security tool. It is recommended to run it at least once a week to ensure that all risky entries will be removed right away. The addition of the feature called the Adwcleaner makes it even more effective in targeting and removing annoying programs that have the tendency to hijack your browner as it changes your homepage and resets the default search engine, even adding some unwanted toolbars.
Avast Anti-Virus – Targeted for Malware Protection and Removal
The reputation of Avast gives a backup to the quality of this malware removal software. In fact, the company offers the best options possible, especially since it now comes bundled with a specific antimalware feature that uses behavioral monitoring in easily spotting risky programs. Aside from the fact that the basic products of Avast are free, they are also compatible with mobile devices and desktops, making it an ideal choice for those with multiple devices to check.
For business and commercial users, there are also options for paid-for features that cover a wide range of options and needs. For basic use at home, the free antivirus is enough to keep your computer in shape. Note, however, that you might be asked to update to one of the other services of Avast periodically.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus – Ideal for Beginners and Experts
Kaspersky’s Anti-Virus package comes with a stripped-back security package that highlights the essentials of core security. It includes a web filtering feature that blocks dangerous URLs, smart monitoring technologies that work by tracking and reversing malicious actions, and an accurate engine that identifies and removes threats.
This Antivirus suite is also consistent in terms of blocking malware and eliminating it from an infected system. This tool has also received top marks regularly at review sites, which speaks a lot about its capabilities. The program is quite easy to use and equipped with an amazingly designed interface that features the right number of options and buttons. These features are not too basic, but not too intimidating or complicated either. It also comes with on-screen instructions that explain how things work, thus making sure that even beginners can use it right away.
Bitdefender Total Security – Easy to Use Malware Protection Suite
This edition of malware removal software from Bitdefender is the sturdy, silent type. It does not ask complicated questions upon installation. It simply continues with its job of detecting and removing almost anything that creates a risk to your security and safety. It also works by watching out for apps that are badly behaving, scanning links on the web in order to detect scams, and comes with a proactive spyware and malware scanning system which can detect even new threats.
This app also features a boot scanning technology each starts your PC. The best part about the Bitdefender antivirus software is that it is nag-free, ad-free, and hassle-free, running silently and quickly as you get on with more interesting tasks. This suite of tools is comprehensive enough to provide protection to your PC. As such, it has easily become the best antimalware software that can be downloaded today.
Tips for Malware Protection
One thing to note about Malware threats is that they evolve continually. In order to deal with them, it would be helpful to practice the following:
- Scan your device regularly, and update your system and your antimalware software.
- Download content only from an official or reputable store or website.
- Browse carefully and avoid clicking on unknown ads. If all possible, add an ad blocker.
- Avoid shareware and freeware and go for premium packages.
- Avoid opening unverified links and email attachments.
- Implement strong policies for security.
- Become fully aware, and stay updated with the current trends in cybersecurity.
From easy to clean up viruses to advanced malware infiltrations, your system will always be faced with a number of threats. The sad part is that they constantly evolve. The good news is that the best malware removal software is always updated with these threats, even the recently created ones, making sure that nothing bad will happen to your personal files or system. This is the reason why it is best to invest in an antivirus –malware removal software installed on your computer.