When it comes to computer systems, the danger of getting malware, viruses, and Trojans is always there unless you are running the best antivirus software out there. Whether you are on a PC, Mac, iPhone, or Android phone, the vulnerability in the browser and its plugins become the root of attack for Trojan into other components of the system, even if such parts are not typically vulnerable to such attacks.
Short of Time? See Our Top 3 for April, 2021
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium – Deep Scans and Daily Updates
- Avast Ultimate 2020 –The Ultimate Protection
- Bitdefender Antivirus Free – Best Free Malware Protection for PC
True, the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can significantly reduce the possibility of Trojan infection, it depends on you, as the user, to make sure that your machine or device is secured against a variety of Trojan horse attacks. The good news is that there are a number of vendors who can provide you the security that you need to defend yourself against viruses, malware, and Trojans. However, what if you already have it? Well, there are also options for removal software. The list below highlights the best free Trojan removal software available out there. Check them out!
Understanding What Trojans Are
The name of this web intruder came from the famous Greek story of how a Trojan horse successfully entered a well-secured city. In the modern world, however, it is described as malware that disguises itself as something that is legit or useful. It hides is the real intent of getting into a protected computer system. Unlike other types of malware that reproduce on their own, Trojans need manual installation or downloading by other malware. The following are the types of Trojans:
- Trojans Rootkit: Rootkits give administrators access to other malware, as well as malicious users. A Rootkit provides protection to the malware, ensuring that it is not discovered as it causes trouble to the user’s device.
- Trojan Exploits/Backdoors: These types of Trojans establish remote access. It takes advantage of security flaws or vulnerabilities in a system. Malicious uses use these backdoors to take control of the device infected. Then, cybercriminals are free to do anything that they want to do, even using the system to establish further attacks on the network.
- FakeAVTrojans: These Trojans hide as antivirus software, thus making them really dangerous. For example, they offer services to scan your computer for free and give details on some bad malware and threats. In order to remove the malware and threats, you need to pay. The reality, however, is that this malware and threats do not exist, and it is basically a way in which people extort money from gullible victims.
- Trojan-Downloader and Dropper: These Trojans are among the most common Trojan types. People with malicious intent use them to download and also install other malware on a system that is infected. They are best at hiding themselves as legitimate apps. The sad part is that most antivirus tools are not able to scan what these Trojans carry.
How to Know If Your Device Is Infected with a Trojan?
In general, it is quite challenging to tell the presence of Trojans in your system, unless you do a scan. There are some signs, however, that give you an idea. Since Trojans are used in delivering other malware, these signs may also point, not just to the Trojan, but to other malware. These signs include:
Speed Getting Slow
Trojans perform operations in the background, such as installing and downloading, as well as allowing malicious users to have remote access to your system. These background operations consume a lot of resources, such as RAM and CPU power. This, in turn, makes your devices slow, even not allowing your legitimate apps to function correctly. This may further lead your device to freeze or even crash.
Unauthorized Operations in the System
Trojans may also work by altering the settings of your device. This may allow intruders to install some rogue programs and perform malicious activities. If you see programs and apps that you did not opt to install or new plugins and toolbars that you are not familiar with, there is a possibility that your system has a Trojan.
Sudden Surge of Bandwidth/Internet Usage
Malicious people and cybercriminals often use Trojans to access your device remotely, even downloading or uploading content that fits them. On top of that, other Trojans also download and even install other apps or malware which may use your bandwidth further.
Loss of Disk Space
Other types of malware that are downloaded by the Trojan intruder, such as worms, spyware, and viruses, can fill your storage quickly. If you notice your disk getting full, with no visible content, there is a likelihood of Trojan presence.
Best Free Trojan Removal Software
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium – Deep Scans and Daily Updates
If you are detecting a malware or Trojan virus infection, the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an option that you can take into consideration. This program is updated every day, which is why you can trust it to be able to identify and remove recent threats the moment that they surface.
Avast Ultimate 2020 –The Ultimate Protection
For an antivirus tool that is free, Avast offers well-defined features. Aside from the on-demand, real-time capabilities for virus scan, it also features email and web protection, together with a browser plugin that provides alert against possibly dangerous links. This software package also comes with a standalone secure browser, though it does not automatically open as you enter a banking site. It also has a handy video downloader, letting you grab some copies of videos from streaming sites such as YouTube.
Performance-wise, the Avast Free Antivirus offers malware detection abilities that are up to par. It is also light and fast, which proves to be effective when installing new applications. If you are searching for reliable free antivirus software, this package is worth your attention. It comes with a decent batch of features.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free – Best Free Malware Protection for PC
The Bitdefender Antivirus Free software is what you need to have if you are looking for the silent, yet strong kind of Trojan removal software. This program does not ask any questions upon installation. What it does is that gets the job done, especially with identifying and removing anything that creates a risk to your system’s security and safety.
This software keeps alert for apps that are badly behaving, scanning links on the web in order to identify scams, with proactive spyware and malware scanning, which helps in detecting threats, even those new ones not previously encountered before. Nag-free, ad-free, and hassle-free, this antivirus software is an amazing product that runs fast and silent as you get on with your job. It features a comprehensive batch of tools that work in protecting your Pc, making it the best free anti-malware and Trojan software that you can easily download today. It is a combination of everything that you need in a single, easy to use package.
Avoiding Trojans in the Future
The nifty and deceptive nature of Trojans makes them difficult to avoid. However, by practicing safe computing all the time, by being cyber aware, while practicing good security habits, you can easily avoid them. At the same time, by updating the settings of your system to show file extensions always, you will also which type of file you are downloading, even if it disguises its icon and name. Here are some other tips as well:
- Update your Trojan removal software and perform scans periodically.
- Make sure that your firewall us updated and running well.
- Update your apps and your Operating System. The automatic update feature can be activated to avoid missing some important updates.
- Avoid downloading shareware, freeware, as well as cracked software.
- Avoid opening unverified links and email attachments from unfamiliar emails.
- Avoid questionable websites.
Buyer’s Guide – Choosing the Best Free Trojan Removal Software
When it comes to choosing the best free Trojan removal software, certain things need to be taken into consideration. The following factors are included:
- Coverage of Protection: A good free Trojan removal software is one that is compatible not just with Windows but can also work with other operating systems, as well as mobile devices. After all, even devices require protection from Trojans.
- Unique Features: Despite being free, it is best to choose Trojan removal software that can provide you some unique features. True, you may not be able to expect a lot out of free software, but opt for one that will give you the best value possible.
With the Trojans’ power to masquerade, it may be challenging to detect and avoid them. This is particularly true if you use the internet quite heavily. Every year, new variants of Trojans are being introduced, making it even harder to deliver and detect dangerous payloads across systems, networks, and even organizations. By understanding and putting into practice the guide above, including noting the best free Trojan removal software out there, you are one step ahead in the game!
What are the dangerous Trojans?
What are FTP Trojans?
How do these Denial-of-service attack (DoS) Trojans operate?